Hall CD and Books
Happy Harping & colorful
last update Novenber 6, 2017
Details of these events and gatherings (including address and phone numbers of gathering locations) are published in the
Harpers Hall newsletter, The Reel Fling. Yearly subscription
includes the newsletters and much more. Join us in the enchanting world
- 15th 1:30 - 6 pm Gathering at Val Wann's home in Concord; Workshop: "Explore Celtic Musical
Ornamentation" workshop by Deb Knodel.
Learn how to add some ornaments to your
Celtic (and other) tunes. We will explore
Irish and Scottish ornamentation for wire
and nylon-strung harps. Most ornaments
are easy to do, and can add a wonderful
touch of spice to all of your arrangements!
- 16th - 20th Venture Retreat -- contact Verlene Schermer at info 'at' verlene.com for more information
- no monthy gathering (join us at the retreat instead!)
- 19th 1:30 - 6 pm Gathering at Calli Morrow's home in Portola Valley; Workshop: "Perspectives on Composing."
Val Wann, Margaret More, and Verlene Schermer will share their individual composing processes
in a forum that will include discussion,
demonstration, and Q&A. Bring your questions,
and find hints, tricks, and inspiration to develop
your own compositional skills!
- 9th Note changed to the second Sunday (the third Sunday is Easter) 1:30 - 6 pm Gathering at Val Wann's home in Concord; "Leading an ensemble" led by Verlene Schermer. In this workshop, we'll work on developing skills to lead an ensemble, whether it be harps, or other groups of any size. We'll work on speaking with the audience, counting off the time, using your body and facial expressions to lead and set the tone! Plus at 5-6 pm, rehearsal for Woodland Games led by Verlene
- 29th - 30th Woodland Games Sacramento
Valley Scottish Games & Gathering, Yolo County
Fairgrounds, Woodland, all day. Directions to fairgrounds
- 21st 1:30 - 6 pm Gathering Location Dell Petersen's home in Fremont; Workshop from 2-3 pm: "The Harper's Guide to Copyright Law!" led by David Trapp. There are many copyright issues that a harpist should know, whether as a musician, performer, composer or as a teacher. David will present a workshop covering current issues of copyright law, such as how to register a copyright, what is does for you, other copyrights involved in the music business,what is "fair use," and practical suggestions for how you can protect yourself. Plus at 5-6 pm, rehearsal for Motherlode Games led by Verlene
- 10th - 11th Motherlode Highland Games at the Amador County Fairgrounds. We'll be playing ensemble and solo sets throughout the day both Saturday and Sunday.
- 25th Note changed to the fourth Sunday (the third Sunday is Father's Day) 1:30 - 6 pm at Amy Krupski's home in Pacific Grove; Workshop TBA.
- 16th 4:00 - 8 pm (note change in
time) Summer Barbecue at Laurann Golden's home in Campbell. No workshop planned!
- 20th 1:30 - 6 pm Gathering at Deborah
Bennett's home in San Jose; Workshop from 2- 3 pm: Fun with Rhythms! led by Verlene Schermer. Plus at 5-6 pm, Pleasanton Games rehearsal led by Verlene
- 15th 1:30 - 6 pm Gathering location Mary David's home in Los Gatos; Workshop: Icing on the Cake led by Deb Knodel..
- 19th 1:30 - 6 pm Gathering at Laurann Golden's home in Campbell; Workshop from 2 - 3 pm: Playing on the White Strings led by Verlene Schermer.
One of the ways to make something simple is to limit the number of options. By playing only white strings, avoiding red and blue strings, you will find it easier to play a tune by ear! In this workshop, we'll discover how easy it is to play pentatonic tunes on just the white strings. If you know of any tunes that are pentatonic, feel free to share them with the group! Verlene will also provide a number of tunes, and we'll do these by ear and by rote rather than reading the notes. Plus from 5- 6 pm: rehearal for Chirstmas concerts.
- 3rd 3 - 4 pm Second rehearsal for the Christmas concerts at Claudia Slayman's home in San Jose (just before the Yule Party!)
- 3rd 4 - 8 pm Yule Party at Claudia Slayman's home in San Jose. Bring holiday songs to share, and your yummiest dish for potluck dinner!
- 12th 7 - 8 pm Harpers Hall Ensemble Christmas Concert at the Morgan Hill Library.